Welcome to Our World
Aspire was founded by Denise Hazen, Creative Director, in 2011. Denise joined forces with Social Motion, Inc (a 501c3) in Houston, Texas in 2016. The Aspire Accessories program is now offered as part of their portfolio. Social Motion, Inc., is dedicated to teaching young adults with autism and similar special needs transferable business skills. The Aspire Artisans learn light manufacturing, retail, and customer service skills as they create, produce, embellish, assemble, package, and ship beautiful accessories, crafts, home goods, laser-engraved specialty products, and corporate gift items.
The CDC reported in 2014 that 1 in 59 children will be diagnosed with an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD.) Many with ASD find it difficult to obtain and keep jobs. We are proud that Aspire Accessories provides a safe environment, meaningful work, fair wages, and most of all an accepting community.
Social Motion, Inc.'s mission is "Providing strategies and life path solutions to enable those with social cognitive challenges to become productive, fulfilled individuals".
Our goal is for each artisan to obtain increased independence in a workplace setting and to sustain performance, thus enhancing the likelihood of gaining further meaningful employment, if they so choose.
Our Artisans learn a variety of transferrable skills:
- light manufacturing (heat embosser, hydraulic press and laser etcher)
- product development (jewelry, clothing, home goods)
- inventory management (stock taking, packaging and pricing)
- retail and customer services
- appropriate and effective workplace communication
- understanding of social hierarchy and workplace expectations
The Aspire workshop is a dynamic learning environment offering an individualized approach.
Our Growth and Success
Support from our customers, along with our earned reputation in the community has enabled us to grow considerably in the last 18 months.
Every dollar generated from sales is utilized to keep our program going, and our artisans employed. YOUR PURCHASE TRULY DOES PROVIDE US WITH A PURPOSE!
We are proud to share the following highlights since our inception:
- We currently employ 22 artisans who come to work between two and five days per week.
- We employ four professional staff members and typically host two or three interns from the University of Houston, who help out in our studio.
- Our studio has grown from one suite to three and now includes two workshops, a stock room, a storage room and a kitchen
- We work hard to bring our products to market. Sales channels now include visits to our studio (where we have a small pop-up shop); trunk shows; online storefront, pop-ups, and wholesaling
- We enjoy working with other organizations and have been lucky to collaborate with the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, Elaine Turner and Pinto Ranch, to name a few.
If you would like to know more then do get in touch!